REFINING ADAPTABILITY, ACCURACY AND RESILIENCE IN HUMAN DEVELOPMENTChris Walker
As we enter an era of hyper accelerated growth post Covid, the global middle management is going to take an enormous hit. Redundancies will be plenty. The opportunity for companies to refine and slim down their cost structures as they retool for post covid economies will be automatic. They will start by only re-employing highly adaptable, accurate and resilient (self-led) people. Post Covid leaders will have no time to micro manage the mediocre performances of those who lack the incentive, training or skill to adapt, be accurate and resilient. Unemployment in the mediocre performance job market will skyrocket. Those who want to be on board for the recovery and the future need to ups-kill in Self-leadership way beyond where they may have been 3-4 months ago.
and, corporate training won’t cut it. It can’t….Chris Walker
As a professional speaker hired by human resources within corporations for 30 years my briefs were always limited by the lowest common denominator of the corporate audience. The least invested dictated the band width of material. HR departments made it 100% clear, that no matter what I spoke about: winning applause, engaging the audience, “enter-train” people (even getting scores from audience on their enjoyment of the presentation meant the “challenge” component of training had to be mild at best. Once this model of measure of the quality of training is implemented under the handcuffed auspices of “Lowest Common Denominator” training leadership within a corporation, the training process is by necessity limited to “low hanging fruit and compartmentalised conversations.” Really, that training is dead in the water post Covid.
3 Reasons Corporate Training Will Fail You in Your Professional Development
- Most employee training programs fail due to corporate self-interest and the lack of permission to address “total human awareness.” They must compartmentalise the development of people with the aim of increasing productivity and yet, the total human being, the heart, quality of life, relationship and other aspects of the human condition are, or must be, ignored.
- Lasting change can only be achieved when employees are personally inspired – HR cannot cross the territorial divide into the full spectrum of an individual’s life and therefore their training is only “work and low hanging fruit” in wellbeing
- Magic happens when personal inspiration aligns with the company vision and HR rarely has influence on this. Therefore within limited scope of human development the measures of individual growth and performance are mediocre at best and therefore the core issues and opportunities for full utilisation of human potential at work are half baked at best.
“How to Create Real motivation/Inspiration at Work… Align Your Personal Interests with the Company Vision”
Step 1 – Inspire the individual (YOU)
Step 2 – Balance the corporate vision
Step 3 – Align personal inspiration to the vision (YOU)
INSPIRE THE INDIVIDUAL
A. give yourself tools to keep you life on track and get the best out of life.
B. learn human development and skills that address all seven areas of life, not just two or four. Hence, you will not be balancing work against life (work life balance) nor trying to implement wellbeing as a catch-all.
C. your professional development needs to EVOLVE you, not train you. Your professional development does not simply solve problems and cause productivity that is unsustainable, it must grow you and strengthen your ability to grow through and deal with challenges: EVOLVE skills must include…
- Emotional Clearing and Balancing to free up mind space and clear up emotional disturbances… critical in sport, family and business.
- Physical Health and wellness – improving nutrition, recovery, exercise, body care, personal hygiene, changing the body metrix, relaxation techniques and mind-body awareness.
- Environmental Improvement such as a change in appearances; work place, clothing, home design, grooming, appliances, tools and connectivity with nature.
- Mental Discipline – such as prioritisation of daily tasks based on values, intrinsic values inspiration, motivation toward goals, connection of the “total package” of life to outcomes desired.
- Visionary Respect: The ever expanding motivation of doing more for more people, serving a greater purpose, leaving a mark, creating footprints, and reaching further than imagination would allow.
- Personal Presence requires a shift in inner dialogue and how we treat ourselves during times of failure, mistakes, broken expectations and disappointment. Given that frustration is life’s constant battle, as frustrations grow, the skill to negotiate with ourselves for these must improve constantly. Shake off the old self talk bring in the new.
- Results: Action – Daily routines can become self-limiting. By being willing to ramp up the intensity and embed new daily actions, process for being back on track, and quality of relationship checks, we gain a foothold on each step on the journey. Slippage becomes unacceptable.
Given corporate HR and the training programmes it hires are limited by politics and scope and yet individuals will be judged on their total development it is wise for aspirational individuals to take training into their own hands and consider it an essential element of professional training and development outside the scope of the HR department of their company.